Friday, March 13, 2015

Tiriparwendo star in the making!



He came to the spotlight known as Dapi in Tiriparwendo but his flirtation with the local film industry goes back to 1999.
The only reason his name would not turn heads is because he worked mainly behind the scenes in a career that saw him conquering Europe.
He was one of the scriptwriters of Studio 263 and to those who watch film credits - the name Lexta Mutasa will definitely ring a bell.
 H-Metro’s Latwell Nyangu (LN) hooked up with him. Read on…
LN: Mungandishagade here if I say Dapi, what do people call you?
FM: Dapi, Shagada, Kokoda!
LN: Wow, and what are your responses?
FM: I like it and I make sure whoever greets me in that way, I make them laugh. People think I am always in character so I make sure I crack one or two jokes.
LN: Is it an advantage to be popular, what have you experienced from your side?
FM: It’s nice until you are caught on the wrong side of society ‘rules’ or the law but for now I am enjoying the heat asi musi waunobatwa wakashama unoshagadika.
LN: Can you just take me down to the character Dapi, recite Kushagada?
FM: Ndokushakada ukashagadika semashakada akabikwa akashisha, already it’s like rapping. I don’t just end there. The beauty of the language is how far I can go with that jargon. I rap dramatically, in character and the language appropriately.
LN: Let’s trace your journey of acting. How did it all start?
FM: During my days at primary school, I was very good, even writing and performing poetry. While at high school and I went on to do quite well and when I went to UZ that’s when I started doing literature and creative writing.
LN: While at school, were you serious or you were doing it because teachers would force you to do it, which was which?
FM: There is the casual experience one gets while at school but the main element is that my father (late) was a writer of novels and was my major influence into the arts. I would listen to his story telling and develop some plays out of it.
LN: Who was your father?
FM: Norbert M Mutasa.
LN: So was he the source of your inspiration?
FM: Yes he inspired me, 100 percent.
LN: But initially from within yourself, do you have the talent?
FM: The talent is there and its inherent, I was born with it. In life when you grow up, you won’t really know what you will do in life. I am naturally a performer and writer.
LN: Just in short summary, tell us about your father’s legacy!
FM: He published 11 novels, ten of them in Shona and the eleventh one was in English. The first novel was published in 1978, Mapatya. Other books like Misodzi Dikita neropa and Nhume yamambo have been rated the best and are in school syllabuses.
LN: Now, I am interested in knowing the day you became your own man. When did you become a serious actor?
FM: I was a brilliant actor as a student at UZ and during that time my major break came in 1999 when I toured Europe as a member of a cast called New Angle Cultural Productions which was led by Professor Farai Dere. He was a lecturer at the University and we came up with the series before touring Europe. Our production was called Jekanyika the prince of Gondwanaland and I featured as Mambo Dendera.
LN: Why did you go to Europe, and was this your major break to Europe?
FM: We went to showcase our play and that was my first major break as a student.
LN: Was it mainly because of that production?
FM:  It was mainly because of that production, as a student and assistant to Bere, the production became special to me.
LN: And was this your rise to   limelight?
FM: Yes, you can say   that because previously I had featured in about 10 plays from the theatre arts department as a student. But this one is a major breakthrough because it came as an international production.
LN: So how long did you stay in Europe and what was your experience?
FM: We were there for a couple of months and it was a culturally   enriching experience in many ways.
LN: Which part of Europe were you in particular?
FM: Netherlands and Belgium.
LN: Now that you were back on the home soil, how did you adapt?
FM: On my return, we staged Jekanyika at Reps Upstairs, HIFA-2000 followed by a series of plays before my graduation in 2000 and it was time to leave the University.
LN: Life after UZ can you shed more light in terms of the film.
FM: In 2002, I joined the Studio 263 team of writers.
LN: Who did you work with?
FM: Chief writer and Creator of the story Aaron Chiundura-Moyo, Sekuru Tawanda Gunda-Mupengo and myself. Gunda left later at episode 200 and I remained with Moyo up to episode 500.
LN: What was your role in the process?
FM: I joined ship as an episode writer only later to become script writer and editor.
At the time I left   I was the script supervisor.
LN: When did you leave and why?
FM: I left in 2005 at episode 500 because I had achieved a landmark. I joined them at episode 16 and from there I wrote 160 episodes. It was quite an achievement since I gained experience, excellence in writing a new genre called soapies.
LN: After you left Studio 263, tell me about your next projects?
FM: I wrote episodes for a drama series called Mhembwe Rudzi for ZBC in the same year. I also wrote the first episode scripts for Small House Saga that same year. I diversified into music and came up with an album poetry dubbed Mboni. That same year I joined Tiriparwendo with Moyo who had since left Studio 263.
LN: It seems the events were just happening in your favour, how did you fall in love with Tiriparwendo?
FM: While I was at Studio 263 things were not that rosy, the chief writer and the director had bad blood (Moyo and the late Godwin Mawuru) and that forced Moyo to quit and start a new project of his own. I had worked with him for more than 500 episodes and we had known each other and you know as writers, we created Tiriparwendo.
LN: Will it be wrong to say Aaron Chiundura Moyo groomed you?
FM: Not at all, because he spotted me while my father was still alive. My father and Chiundura Moyo were close friends where my father would give some of his books to Moyo to make plays since he was the Chief writer at ZBC. But Moyo advised my father to allow me to write the books for television.
LN: So was this a first traditional drama series in Zimbabwe?
FM: Yes, because there was never a traditional drama series in Zimbabwe.
LN: Tell me your experiences with Tiriparwendo?
FM: It was quite a learning experience, I discovered a lot.
LN: Can you share with me the differences between Tiriparwendo and Studio 263?
FM: At Studio 263 I was a creative force, being behind the camera and now with Tiriparwendo, the script was being written for me, I was acting, imagine over 200 episodes of acting unlike with Studio 263 where I had over 500 episodes of writing.
LN: So which is which, spare me from confusion here, are you a writer, an actor, a singer or you are just everything?
FM: Firstly I am a writer and then an actor because I am born to write, dai baba vangu vari actor I should have started as an actor but he was a writer.
LN: So where are your strengths between acting and writing? It seems you gained mileage when you were on the screen, and when you are behind the scenes people don’t notice who you are?
FM: That’s the sad part of it, as a writer you are very underestimated and disregarded that’s why it was easier for Chiundura Moyo to lose his Studio 263 concept because claim yako inenge iri pakutii, ukaudza vanhu kuti ndini vekuStudio 263 vanhu vanoramba. Right now people would associate me with acting, they don’t even think I can be a writer. They think I am good as an actor but I am better as a writer- I am creative.
 LN: Tell me what you take as special during your script writing peak?
FM: I feel special because no one in Zimbabwe has written more than 160 episodes for television.
LN: And your best highlights with Tiriparwendo?
FM: The scene I did with two characters and I know Zimbabwe used to enjoy them. Myself  as Dapi against Chabvonga (Eddie Sandifolo) and Dapi vs Kutapira (the late-Nevernay Chinyanga-Muvengwa).
LN: Now that you were in Tiriparwendo, what was the end result of it, and tell me the position you had!
FM: I wouldn’t say Tiriparwendo has ended, it’s still going, and the story should not end it’s like a metaphor of human existence-rwendo runopera nekufa kwemunhu, so the story continues.
LN: You have drawn attention with your language, while writing, do you take drugs, smoke marijuana or drink alcohol to beef up your creative imagination? Tell me the secret behind your maverick language?
FM: Creativity, naturally I am a word juggler, you know how the Okochas of this world do with the ball, I can do that with the language kusvikira maneta.
I created the word kushagada and people now associate me with that word. I also inherited from my father and I would say ini ndiri mukaranga akaringana.
LN: So you mainly into traditional dramas, is that so?
FM: It seems because when you look at Jekanyika we could dress in leather, tichiridza mbakumba, muchongoyo, and we could sing cultural music.
Even the language was just African.
LN: After Tiriparwendo what else did you do?
FM: I have done a number of projects with ZBC-Shadows, Akanga nyimo avangarara-as a head of police-I featured in The Gentleman, Sinners which is yet to be premiered and Legacies.
LN: Do you have your own production?
FM: Currently I have already shot a drama series – Dapi naKahembe - a clash of comedians.
LN: What are the challenges you have noted in this film industry?
FM: The economy, there is talent and we have the right education to film. There is no money. Once that is sorted,we have a great future industry.
LN: After all has been said, would you stutter when asked what you have benefited from this industry?
FM: I have benefited largely from the arts, the industry has made me, the arts have made my life-I have learnt to love myself and others through the arts. Socially I have benefited.
 LN: And your comment on the deadly piracy cancer?
FM:  Piracy is a necessary evil, I wish someone could pirate Tiriparwendo and flood the market with it-to me it’s like change money-they become unnecessary kana economy yashagadika, mukavasunga hamuvapedzi. Let the economy be solved first.
LN: Do you have any award in your name?
FM: Honoured at HIFA 2012 as best writer in the play called Zimbabwe: the Destination of choice and I co-authored a novel The Dangerous journey with my father.
LN: What else do you do besides acting?
FM: Lecturer with ZIFTESSA for two years and I am working with Islamic Centre in Waterfalls as their head of Shona cultural studies. I own Shagada Arts.
LN: Give me a brief background of Felex .
FM: I was born on November 5, 1976 in Gutu and completed my primary school in Gutu before I finished my high school in Shurugwi.
LN:  Did you remain there after your studies?
FM: Yeah, my father had a farm in Shurugwi, and he was District Administrator so, Shurugwi is my second home. I am either in Gutu or SHURUGWI.
LN: Tell me how you ended up in Harare?
FM: I came to Harare for the very first time in 1996, to pursue my education at UZ.
LN: What were you studying at UZ?
FM: I was studying the Bachelor of Arts and literature, drama and film up to 2000.
LN: Any last words to anyone relevant to this film industry?
FM: The sky is only the beginning, I am sure we have not reached our limits – let’s go furthest – we can do better than Nigerians, even Hollywood is not a limit to us.
LN: Thank you Dapi.
FM: My Pleasure Mr Latwell.
For feedback email: nyangu.latwell27@gmail.com
0774 186 242
-HMETRO

No comments:

Post a Comment