Thursday, June 11, 2015

I quit formal employment for acting-Charles Mzemba



IN 1968 at the age of 13, he had already started writing scripts.
His dream and passion was to see a success story of Zollyhood.
He also quit his formal employment and ventured into film.
H-Metro’s Latwell Nyangu (LN) caught up with veteran writer-cum-actor Charles Mzemba (CM) who opened up on these and other issues. Read on…
LN: Give us your brief background as a writer?
CM: I started writing in 1968 at the age of 13. I wrote my full length novel in the same year and it was titled Nyafura runowa Rwizi Dzvuku.
LN: Who inspired you at such an age?
CM: I got my inspiration from reading novels by yesteryear writers such as Patrick Chakaipa, Jairos Kuimba and many more.
I then sent the novel (Nyafurarunowa Rwizi Dzvuku) to the then Rhodesia Literature Bureau and they saw potential in that book.
From there onwards, they started sending me “Hints to new authors” and through those booklets, I nurtured myself.
In the year 1978, I published a book titled Akanga Nyimo Avangarara, which I co-authored with my friend Patrick Mudungure.
In 1980, it was out but I didn’t stop as I wrote Aita twake and Rovambira.
Akanga Nyimo and Rovambira were made set books for almost four consecutive years.
From 1980, I said to myself I want to be a fulltime writer and actor.
I wanted to be an established actor at 50 and I told my family that I was leaving formal employment.
By then, I was the human resources practitioner and a group personnel manager for Mashonaland Holdings.
From 2005-6, I left formal employment because I didn’t want to retire in the industry where you are given a bicycle and watch as package. In art you don’t retire.
LN: So when did your love for film begin?
CM: My new love developed in September 2004 when we did Tiriparwendo with Aaron Chiundura Moyo and I was the assistant director/producer.
In 2006, I joined Estate Blues as a head writer and the main actor, Professor Tembera.
From there, I never stop writing and acting.
LN: You can go ahead...
CM: From Estate Blues, I appeared in many productions including Inheritance Court, Gupuro,  Simuka Upenye (by Agnes Gwatiringa); I was a writer and actor in Shadows, a ZBC production, I also did Akanga Nyimo Avangarara as a script from the novel.
ZBC also gave me the novel Kusasana Kunoparira by Modercai Hamutyinei and we made it into screen play.
I also appeared in the drama as Detective Ndudzo.
I also featured in Winky D’s video Baba Musarova Bigman as the father to the girl.
It got a NAMA award, which was an honour to me.
It was an honour again to appear in The Gentleman by Munyaradzi Chidzonga and brushing shoulders with SA actor like Presley of the Tsotsi fame and Philip Chiyangwa.
It was voted the best directed film in Africa.
I also appeared in Gringo Trouble Maker as Sekuru vaJohn and Status by Boniface Chimedza.
I am also part of the cast in Deception by Adoration Bizure, a refreshing film where I starred as Pastor Makas.
I am also part of the Statements cast by Nakai Beauty Tsuro and that’s where my future lies now as we are going to do some series.
LN: What’s your main dream in this industry?
CM: My dream in this film industry will not stop here because I have a vision and a dream, which I want to achieve and leave a legacy for my family before I die.
I started a company called Ali Productions and when it kicks off I have got two series lined up, which will go up to 100 episodes each and the first one I am already on episode 53 and it will be ready very soon although we are facing difficulties in funding.
The series are called Vanga (Scar).
I want it to reach episode 130 and I am also writing another series called Nduru, which I am on Season 3.
I have got a soapie called USOFA-United States of Africa and I have movies, which I have lined up and have already been written. I want to adapt all the novels that I have written into movies with this company so that when I die I leave something big.
LN: Do you feel quitting formal employment was a noble idea?
CM: It’s not easy especially here in Zimbabwe and being a full time actor and writer is not rosy.
I don’t want to lie to people kuti join us full time because it needs hard work, determination, passion. Better for me because when I write and act I get money from both.
But it’s not a bed of roses, its quiet difficult.
The economic situation in our country is not friendly but what I am saying is who is supposed to do it, it’s us Zimbabweans who should do it and it’s us who make the industry grow.
If we all quit then there is no film industry in Zimbabwe.
I know one day we will celebrate our achievements.
LN: So from the onset you were born a writer?
CM: I am a novelist, actor, script writer.
LN: Do we have a film industry in Zimbabwe?
CM: You see, in countries, film industry is a lucrative business and that’s why they have celebrities.
Look at Nigeria, SA for instance they have Muvhango, Generations, Scandal etc, people are earning a living from it, they are going to work every day.
In Zimbabwe, it’s very unfortunate that our corporate world doesn’t appreciate the film industry.
Look at companies in SA; they invest in those sectors because they know they will get some returns.
Here in Zimbabwe, if we had people like mdara Oliver Mtukudzi things were not going to be the same because they have passion.
If we have 10 people like him we can take this industry somewhere because they understand what is there in this film industry.
Even ZBC doesn’t appreciate film, 35 years down the line, tell me which product they can point out kuti this is theirs and can match the international standard or even regionally.
You go there for your payment, they give you US$50 and after three months they tell you kuti zvemadrama hazvina basa forgetting kuti those dramas are the ones that are making other countries rich.
If we establish a film industry in Zimbabwe, as what I am doing, so as Nakai Tsuro, Oliver Mtukudzi, I tell you 5 years down the line we will be talking of something big.
LN: Who is to blame?
CM: We can’t blame the corporate world alone but ourselves as independent producers there is something wrong with us.
Everyone is so greedy, hameno kuti inhamo here yakatibaya, Estate Blues, Legacies, Studio 263, died due to some individuals who were greedy.
We need people who know art, who have the passion.
Look at Culture Fund itself, how is it helping the industry, it’s like a son asking for a shoe from his father and he is given a left side shoe and advised him to find another one.
I applied to Culture Fund and so as others. You give them your budget but they still tell you hatina mari or they give you a small amount yet I need something like US$48 000.
It doesn’t make sense but because tine nzara we take it and in the end nothing comes out.
For the past 35 years up to date, what has Culture Fund achieved and helped who zvinobatika?
I wasn’t paid at Legacies up to date and no one from Culture Fund made an effort to check on how the money they gave us was used for.
No follow up on how their money was used, that’s kicking us, they should be transparent.
LN: Assuming you were the head of Culture Fund, how would you want to run it?
CM: Up to now from the past 15-20 years, they should be able to know kuti when we talk of arts and culture we are embracing filming, dancing, music, sculpture. They should know how to distribute percentage of amounts on each sector equally.
It’s not cheap to produce a 13 episode drama, it’s not even less than US$40 000. If you give them less than that then you are short changing their project.
LN: What will be consequences?
CM: Aah the actor will suffer because pandiri panapa ndauya ndiri paKadoma ka because I can’t afford to pay full amount.
When I walk down the road, people know me as Professor Tembera but I have nothing to show for it and that should be corrected.
LN: How can that be corrected?
CM: It’s corrected by putting right people in right positions who are involved, hautore   munhu kwaMurewa ka kuti muzukuru hausati wakushanda huya upinde basa. Get someone who has the art in relevant positions.
You can’t take munhu weboxing womuisa kubhora and we can’t keep on talking about old things.
Nigerians have new trends in film, let’s talk of new trends.
LN: How best can we lure the corporate world into this industry?
CM: We need to have associations, because as individuals we don’t have voice.
I thank individuals like Boniface Chimedza with ZARCIA, although we are not sure yet but I am seeing light.
We have since held meetings with ZBC, Old Mutual for pensions of actors and actresses through ZARCIA.
We need to have audience with these business community because now they say kuti tikakupai mari munodya, we have examples, you are not trustworthy.
To come up with a best project we need funding and the only right route to build the basis is ministry of Arts and Culture, NAC, Culture Fund they should be on forefront.
We also need to have those units from the ministry, where we have a sector that represents film only and NAC and Culture Fund should have the same set up.
LN: From the years you have been in this industry do we have something tangible to show for it?
CM: We don’t have because of the reasons that I have mentioned before.
I don’t know how the Gentleman won that award but currently we don’t have anything. We need to improve and be serious. It goes down to our authorities which include the parent Ministry, NACZ and Culture Fund. We have the brains but we don’t have the funds.
Let’s sit down with the corporate world and all the relevant institutions and map the way forward,
Why can’t we do it, other countries have been doing it.
LN: Do people appreciate the film industry?
CM: People have no appreciation of the film industry and they appreciate, people like Tuku who invite us to use his premises.
We look down upon ourselves.
Ndikabuda ndichikisser musikana mufilm zvinonzi honaiwo mdara uyo, vanoshora but zvikaitwa naDenzel Washington vanopembedza.
LN: Is it worth it to be a celebrity in Zimbabwe?
CM: Currently, it’s not. Unototiza vanhu. Musicians are okay yes, but actors not because mukombi unotochemera kugara paKadoma apa unenge uchibva kushoot, une nzara, unototsvaga kuti kombi ine Kadoma before you jump in.
Matinofamba umu we are known zvekuti but unonyara because zvauri manje. And people will always talk kuti ano actor but hapana chiripo.
LN: Any hope for change of fortunes?
CM: We are going to make it and very soon we will be there.
I always had hope on Legacies, Estate Blues and Studio 263. I tell you with those ones we could have been somewhere else.
LN: What went wrong?
CM: The mentality of greediness and the spirit of corruption have actually affected us.
We won’t go anywhere if we remain with that mentality and I think we will have to suffer for two to three years and after that we will enjoy the fruits.
LN: From the experience that you have, how far are we from ‘milk and honey’?
CM: Honestly we have made strides in terms of projects, so far although things are tough.
It shows kuti Zimbabweans are intelligent and they are doing it with passion.
Look at projects not from ZBC but from independent individuals, people gather around resources (no budget films) you can see from there kuti if given equal resources these people can do great things.
In terms of productions we have grown but we could have done better if we had support from these institutions.
We have received empty promises and we have people like Kireni Zulu, Tuku.
In 2007 I met Zulu who used his gate takings for our projects although it failed but he has passion.
We have a lot of shelved projects that are just waiting for support.
In terms of growth we have done much better but it’s not enough.
LN: What has kept you strong in such an environment?
CM: It’s my dream, I won’t let go until I have achieve this, that’s what kept me going nothing else. Before I pass on I want to leave Zimbabwe with something from me.
The dream keeps me going that one day we will make it.
LN: Would you encourage someone to join the film industry?
CM: To encourage someone totogara naye pasi because there are many who fell down along the way. In 2007 I parted ways with some other guys after they saw no future.
This is not something that you need to try but it has to be in you and it’s an inborn thing, it’s rare to see someone leaving a position of Human Resources Manager full time acting.
It’s not easy but to some who have the same determination come and join us.
I wouldn’t encourage them to leave where ever they are working but you need to have both.
Lucky me, I write and I act also so at least I get something from both.
LN: What followed after popularity?
CM: More doors were opened, more projects came in my way, featured in Windy D’s Musarova Bigman, doors are not opened uri kumba, if you come be prepared for exposure.
I don’t spend three months ndisina kusheedzwa for something.
LN: And tell us about your family?
CM: I am married and blessed with a happy family, six children and six grandchildren.
LN: Any projects in the pipeline?
CM: I have some books in my shelves that are gathering dust, manuscripts that await publication.
If all things go well, I have got a novel coming soon.
Publishers are saying that it will be out before the Book Fair.

LN: Your parting shot?
CM: We are going somewhere, Zimbabwe is going to be big in terms of filming, and whoever feels kuti they can make it in this industry they should come.
But remember to work for it and those who write should brace for tough times because it’s not easy.
I have seven novels at home since 1990.
Established publishers are no longer keen to publish fiction but they are focusing on text books which gives them quick money.
I wouldn’t at present advise writers because there are no publishers interested in fiction books because they don’t give money that’s why now my novels I am putting them into movies.
LN: Thank you Mr Mzemba for your time.
CM: You are welcome Latwell.
**For feedback: Get in touch: nyangu.latwell27@gmail.com, 0774186242  
 -H-METRO



No comments:

Post a Comment