Thursday, June 11, 2015

Teddy Mangawa shines



IT’S now evident that Mabvuku has become the nursery for theatre and film practitioners.
One such arts practitioner is Teddy Mangawa (TM) who has proved his versatility beyond doubt.
H-Metro’s Latwell Nyangu (LN) caught up with the actor and he opened up. Read on…
LN: Who is Teddy?
TM: Teddy was born and resides in Harare having begun his career with the Mabvuku Cultural Drama Club in 2007.
He has also extended his work from community work to film and television acting. He is currently working with Savanna Trust where he has established himself as a competent performing artist, a theatre for development practitioner, a drama facilitator and theatre skills trainer.
In recognition of his acting talent and contribution to the arts industry, he was awarded the best Actor`s award at NAMA 2010. To date, Teddy has managed to work with three South African directors.
LN: Take us through how it all started?
TM: To be honest I never acted in school but I used to enjoy watching theatre and attend rehearsals of Mabvuku Cultural Drama Club because the director of the group Anthony Tongani used to invite me. So there was a show which was supposed to be done and the person who was supposed to do it did not turn up and Anthony pushed me to take the role. That’s how it started.
LN: What was the driving force behind your interest?
TM: Passion my brother, it’s only that it took me more time to counter fears and If it was not of fears and doubts, I would have started acting early.
LN: Why were you afraid?
TM: I thought people were going to compare me with the good guys I used to see performing.
LN: And who then discovered the lion in you?
TM: The first person to discover my talent was Anthony Tongani and confirmations kept on coming from people like Daniel Maposa who is my current director at Savanna Trust.
LN: When was your first stage performance?
TM: My first performance was entitled Yakaoma, a play which tackles the issues of women`s rights and I first performed it in 2007 at HICC at the launch of the 16 Days Against Gender Based Violence.
LN: How did you get the chance?
TM: That`s the one I replaced someone at Mabvuku Cultural Drama Club.
LN:Was Yakaoma a theatre play and what was your role?
TM: Yakaoma was a stage play and my role was of a guy (Baba Cleme) who portrayed the good man and show possibilities of respecting women and see them as equal beings
LN: And what then followed after Yakaoma?
TM: After yakaoma I was courageous enough to attend Savanna Trust`s auditions and got a row in a play Hold My Hand
LN: When was it?
TM: I joined Savanna Trust family in 2009.
LN: So after Hold My Hand, take us through other performances you did?
TM: After Hold My Hand the following year one of the actresses I was with got an opportunity to direct a play for HIFA "Election Day" in 2010 which made me get an award. I also did Fe`s Bhuku , Half empty Half Full which was directed by South African Director , Pub stories also directed by SA director. In 2013, Savanna took me to SA and we collaborated with SA cast and created and performed a play Swallowed.
LN: What about films?
TM: Featured in a movie Sores of Emmanuel then, came Lobola and the few.
LN: From your own experience how is theatre versus films?
TM: My experience have proved to me that if you have either acted or trained theatre chances of doing well in film are high even though guaranteed. Secondly, I enjoy both even though I spent most of my time on stage even though not guaranteed.
LN: And how is it like when you doing a theatre performance?
TM: I love and enjoy theatre performance even though it’s challenging most of time as it makes me have sleepless nights especially three or two days before premiere.
On action you need to select your choices very carefully, research a lot on the character that you are playing. On use of space that is the work of a director. He/she is the one who is responsible for blocking.
LN: And what roles have you played in film?
TM: So far in Lobola and Sores of Emanuel I played the same guy, a ghetto fellow with a behavior imwe iya yechi guy so uchingozvita wakoma.
LN: And your best performance ever?
TM: To prove that I’m a good actor I feel I should get other roles that are different even though I have but I feel that I have not done Justice to prove my versatile
My best performance ever is Half empty Half Full –a 2013 award winning play.
LN: Tell us your experience on that?
TM: My friend and I created the concept when our application to perform at Musho Festival in Durban was accepted. After creating the concept, Savanna Trust gave the SA director to write the story and directed it. It was hell because it was my first time to be directed by a SA director, we rehearsed in a short space of time and after the first performance we received positive review in SA.
LN: What did you learn from their arts industry compared to ours?
TM: What I learnt is that talent is not enough, we need skills from training. SA have a lot of institutions that offers the training. Secondly, we need people and institutions which are willing to invest in our productions which is better in SA. We can create better work if we have trained directors, actors and crew.
LN: Apart from being on stage what else do you do?
TM: I am a theatre trainer and Savanna has given me the opportunity to train new community theatre groups that we work with.
I passionately did a certificate in Arts management with UZ and soon I will be managing either groups or individuals
LN: And what about the awards?
TM: I only have one award at NAMA 2010 where I was named the best actor. I was nominated again in2013
LN: How has been your journey so far?
TM: My journey has been full of ups and downs but I am still around.
LN: How do you view the arts industry in Zimbabwe?
TM: Our arts industry is promising because we had and we still have people who are doing art for no gain. It’s something that they are passionate of and there is green light which I’m sure that our future is full of hope
LN: What level has this art industry taken you since you started?
TM: My levels have scaled up a bit although I have a lot of work to rise.
LN: Is it worth to be a public figure in this industry?
TM: Yes, its worthy to be a public figure.
LN: What do you think is the missing link or spark in our arts industry?
TM: The missing link in our industry is lack of government support.
LN: Your last words to the world of aspirants for this industry?
TM: We need more training institutions and workshops to improve our arts industry.
LN: Your parting shot?
TM: I think I have done my part. Thanks to all the people who are supporting towards the growth of arts industry in Zimbabwe. Please guys continue to support our talented artist because without you beautiful people there is no art. As for me everything that I create as an artist I get it from best.
LN: Thanks Teddy.
TM: You are welcome Latwell.
For feedback: nyangu.latwell27@gmail.com, 0774186242
-H-METRO

No comments:

Post a Comment