Thursday, June 11, 2015

The hunk of ladies-Tapiwa Mavindidze



He is considered a hunk by the ladies and the name Vee-Jay has stuck to him after he played that role in Studio 263.
Despite being a holder of a Psychology degree, the shy guy loves acting.
H-Metro’s Latwell Nyangu (LN) caught up with Vee-Jay or John (his name in Gringo Troublemaker), Tapiwa Mavindidze (TM) and he opened up on his journey to stardom. Read on…
LN: I guess you have earned yourself a name, with some sections calling you Veejay or John from the popular films, how has it been?
TM: I think the name that has stuck most is Veejay, but I didn’t like people calling me Vee-Jay from the onset but I have had to live with that. I always wonder how did the writer come up with that name, why not another name.
LN: And what has been your response?
TM: I don’t take any offence from that because that’s acting.
LN: Tell me when you took your first step into film industry?
TM: Well, I developed the first interest long back at primary school in Malborough and I remember my first role was Joseph the husband to Mary the virgin in an Easter play.
Even in high school at Moleli I used to act and friends called me Manzy because of my big ears.
I later on enjoyed it where after school we could meet and make some plays.
 When I was at UZ, we did a sitcom.
LN: When was that?
TM: In 2003, but the play was not successful and during that time I got to meet Munyaradzi Chidzonga. Also the director of the comedy Sam Murangai spotted me during the short film. He was a lecturer at the UZ and he was directing the comedy which then flopped.
LN: How did he then pick you up from the ‘dust’?
TM: He bumped into me the following year in 2004 where he invited me for auditions with Studio 263 and that was my rise.
LN: I understand Studio 263 had already hit the local screens, what was your role?
TM: Initially, I was to replace Jabu-Denzel Burutsa who had quit but they ended up creating a role for me following his return.
LN: And your relationship with Denzel!
TM: It was super, we worked very well and became close.
LN: Is it safe to say, that was your rise?
TM: Yes, it was indeed a set up since it made me a household name in the industry.
LN:  How were the auditions, was it survival of the fittest or it was automatic?
TM: I was actually late for the auditions since they had been ongoing for two days. I was quite nervous and excited. It was quite competitive but I succeeded and it was a challenge   meeting people who had already done great in the industry. I got it right for the first time and they called me for the second auditions of which I did well again prompting them to offer me a role.
LN: How was life with Studio 263?
TM: When I started, I was still a student, and I was very excited. For me Studio 263 was a place to be. I wasn’t too particular about the financial aspects, mari yandaitowana  ipapo it was good for me. Although during the time people were already citing some financial complaints.
LN: I understand at that moment, Studio 263 was teetering on the brink of collapse?
TM: I can say yes because when I joined the production people were already laying some complaints although I enjoyed the glory but internally there were some squabbles.
LN: It didn’t take much time before you quit Studio 263, why?
TM: After graduating from UZ I had wider options and had to find something profitable.
 I started realising that it was no longer worth it to depend on little monies, the standard of the film was going down, something was very wrong with the production. And eventually I had to go.
LN: After Studio 263 did you take a rest or you jumped over to something better?
TM: Since then I started engaging other productions. I went on to do Nomatter what in 2005 with Anne Nhira and Caroline Mashingaidze. It was one of those films that did well.
After that I engaged ZBC when I did Thicker than Blood in 2007 by Noel Mvura. In the film I was with Evangelista Mwatse and Denzel Burutsa before I went to SA in 2008
LN: On business or pleasure?
TM: I had visited my brother and I took the whole year but during my stay there, I also took an opportunity to study the situation before my return.
I came back in 2009 and starred in Suburban, before starring in Big House, Small House-by Rumbi Katedza and I had the main role. I also remember in 2010 acting in New Dawn. From 2010-11, I did The Zimbabwe I know with the Nigerians.
I continued to work with ZBC and I did Go Chanaiwa Go-and we have been working on that project since 2007 although it hit the screens around 2011.
LN: So you never rested when you came back.
TM: No because I went on to feature in Davies Guzha’s Sinners, it was a theatre in the park play before it was made into a movie and it’s yet to come out.
Last year I did Akanga Nyimo and a Christmas special called The Visit with ZBC. And of course the latest one ‘Gringo Troublemaker’.
LN: Tell me about your life with theatre in the park!
TM: Its one of the things that I spent much time in. I did Desperate in love-with Stephen Chifunyise and Guzha and I was with Carol Mashingaidze and Marian Kunonga.
LN: Can you trace and describe your career in the Zimbabwean film industry?
TM: With regards to this industry I have managed to take things as they are, I haven’t tried to push to achieve much from the industry. When I started I was never worried about the issues of money but now that I have grown up, I have realised not to wait at a bus stop where there are no buses.
The natural interest is there, I stick to my capacities as a screen actor and I normally work as per contract.
There are good and bad days. The industry has nothing much to expect but it should have much regards. The issue of piracy comes into play here and it has always been a major hindrance. Producers should take time to deal with these culprits. They should copy from other countries like Nigeria on how to deal with piracy.
LN: On all the roles you have acted so far, can you state one of your best.
TM: I would say John because the role came to me by the time where I have experienced stereotyping since I had acted as Veejay in Studio 263 as a guy with swag. With the film Thicker than Blood-and others all my roles have been similar but now with John it’s now like exploring. I felt like a normal Zimbabwean in that role and it was hilarious.
It was a matter of simple things and I remember when I was reading the script, I laughed out because the writer proved he is good.
LN: But, the role was just amazing, how did you come up with some of those antics. Was it from the writer or you wanted to prove the world that you can be that charismatic?
TM: First of all I would say it starts with the story itself, it was well prepared and it has the spark from the onset so I was carrying on with the spark.
LN: Was it not difficult for you to adapt, from Veejay to John?
TM: I had read the script and I really enjoyed what I saw, it was a challenge but very captivating role.
LN: Are you enjoying the benefits of being a public figure. Tell me about it?
TM: You know its always nice to receive attention, the fans recognizing you, some are just shy to approach you, so I  appreciate that but one thing that I have to do is to try and not be affected because people now know me. But I should be real as I was before and I like people to see me being cool. Yes I am enjoying though.
LN: Above all, how have you managed to separate yourself from the roles and characters you portray when acting?
TM: It can be many sides to me, I can be crazy when I am told to do so but I wouldn’t do that in street. Its not difficult for me, I can take a role and I just do it like that, it ends there.
LN: Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them. What about you, were you born an actor?
TM: I think with the character of John, it took seasons to come up with it. I started acting since primary school and later started it seriously in 2003. The moment I started meeting people like Lazarus, mdara Gweshe, Ben Mahaka, it blended well.
LN: Apart from financial constraints in the industry, can you cite others. Are you not being drained, or you are doing it for passion, which is which here?
TM: I can say every project that I have done, it’s commendable. As a screen actor most of my work is based on contracts. Major challenges are finance, the general infrastructure and resources is still very low and the standards are not good enough. We expect better standards and I don’t know where we stand in the government as a film industry, I am still to see our department represented in government. Why is it that piracy is on the rise, why can’t producers get sponsorship, the whole issue becomes a chicken and egg situation.
LN: Are these challenges a stumbling block on the rise of many artists?
TM: Yes they are, because, we are failing to have lasting projects in this country, most of them are ‘dying prematurely’.
LN: Now that piracy has been the talk of the day, as a screen actor, what measures would you suggests that should be put in place?
TM: It’s really disappointing when dealing with piracy because it’s something hurting us, there is need for people from a higher level to work hard to protect the artists.
We need higher level power to deal with that.
LN: You have quit at one point, but have all these struggles made you stronger in this industry?
TM: To be honest in my case, I have really considered leaving the industry, I got disappointed but I keep on telling myself to move on, I have really opted to go to SA but I still find myself here but last year was a good year. So I remained strong and the struggle continues.
LN: Can you dish a little on the direction you are going?
TM: This year no, I am just relaxing back and watching how my last project will go. I hope to do more work as I wait for more endorsements and anything to utilize my popularity.
LN: Do you have any advice to the aspiring and upcoming artists?
TM: It’s a journey. I will regard it as any way of life, if you have to be an actor, just know that it’s a journey.
LN: Besides acting, what else do you do?
TM: I have a diploma in Systemic Family Therapy-basic diploma in counseling.
LN: What about your degree in Psychology?
TM: Yes it’s just there, apart from other things I do retail trading, I am working on a few projects at my mother’s plot-so you see I am also into agriculture.
LN: Is Tapiwa married?
TM: I have never been married, and I don’t have children, in fact it’s a phase that I am looking forward to have.
LN: Tell me a brief about yourself
TM: I am a young man born in 1984 and grew up in Zimbabwe, in the location of Marlborough where I did my primary level before moving to Shamva.
I attended Moleli High School in Selous. I went to University of Zimbabwe in 2002 pursuing my Psychology degree and graduated in 2006. And by that time I had already ventured into the film industry.
LN: Thanks John, for your time.
TM: You are welcome.
For feedback and comments: nyangu.latwell27@gmail.com
0774 186 242
-H-METRO




No comments:

Post a Comment