Thursday, June 11, 2015

‘Mine is fame without fortune’ – Zabron



AFTER starring in more than 10 drama series, prolific actor Zabron Kazani (ZK) confesses he has nothing to show for it.
His sad script is simply that of fame without fortune.
Despite being eluded by fortune, he says he won’t throw in the towel.
H-Metro’s Latwell Nyangu (LN) recently caught up with the actor (ZK) and he opened up on his trials and tribulations as well as future plans. Read on…
LN: Your brief background?
ZK: Zabron Kazani was born in 1980 and started acting for fun in 1992 while still doing primary education in Grade 5.
LN: How did the journey actually start?
ZK: It all started at home where I used to act alongside my siblings.
We could act for fun but real business came in 1997 when I took acting seriously.
My first radio drama was in 1997 titled Zvakabva Kwamuri, which was produced by veteran actor Aaron Chiundura-Moyo.
I used to watch some local dramas that were screened on ZBCTV with renowned actors in the dramas NdiGringo Chete, Mhosva Ndeyani with the late Peter Kampira but I was much inspired by Gringo.
LN: What was your next step afterwards?
ZK: I then went to ZBC studios where I approached Dorothy Chidzawo and she was shocked with the approach I used.
She even questioned me if I was eligible to act because ndainge ndakangodhibha dhibha imwe iya.
She then auditioned me for NdiGringo Chete where I had a minor role.
 LN: Were you satisfied with the role?
ZK: I was not at all because I actually wanted a crucial role and things changed when she brought in another local drama Zuku and I starred as Hoza. I did quite well in Zuku.
From then onwards, I began to follow Dorothy, asking her how I could get famous, ndanga ndakuda mbiri manje and she assisted me.
LN: Did she (Dorothy) further assist you?
ZK: She then gave me another in a drama from Kwekwe called Vana avo as Boss directed by the late Misheck Chidhuzu. It’s however sad because vanhu vese ava vakafa.  I was a street kid in the drama.
I further sought advice from Dorothy because I wanted fame, ndikati sei ndisiri kuita mbiri.
During that time Nzuda emerged with his script for a drama for streets kids but I discouraged him since we had just done a similar one.
He then brought another one, Togara Sei for landlords.
This one had Nzuda and his team and I was not part of the drama.
One day, I then tried my luck in the drama and people hailed what I did landing myself a role Mkoma Kenny.
LN: Which year was it?
ZK: In 1999 and that’s when I came on the spotlight tikaita mbiri kusvika zvino nhasi, I was the landlord in the drama as Mkoma Kenny who was a troublesome landlord.
LN: How did this drama propel you to acclaim?
ZK: Yes it was the drama that brought me from the dust zvikazondipawo manyemwe ekuita mamwe madrama.
I then starred in Nzungu Muriva as Chaka along with Nzuda from 2001-2.
 I then wrote my own drama Nyarai as Baba Peace before I briefly quit.
LN: What were the reasons for you to quit?
ZK: Things were not moving well, zvaitonetsa, I took two years on a hiatus.
Industry yagara yakaneta, we are only doing it because of passion and talent especially these days inongova njake njake in the streets.
 LN: After the two year-break, you made a ‘Lazarus’ moment?
ZK: Yes I came from the break after I was called by Lucia Konde-Kanyongo from ZBC the executive producer.
She called and advised me that they wanted to do a drama from a novel and there was a role that had troubled many characters.
I did well for the new role as a policeman in Akanga Nyimo Avangarara.
After that drama, I then wrote a drama that was called Street Theatre but it’s known as Sperire.
I was the house girl since I had looked for a job as man but there was no job for me and I had to dress like a woman to get the job.
LN: Funny enough (laughing), how did you adjust?
 ZK: Aaah ndaitorova basa sebasa, I even changed the voice and everything. It worked very well.
I went on to do Nzuda naKenny in 2011, before I did Beware-2012, from there ndanga ndakungorova. Councillor Papa Pee followed and with the latest one being Councillor Muward Mavo.

LN: Now that you are on the limelight, how is the industry?
ZK: Things are still not well my bro, hongu tiri kupara para zvekudya but we can’t sustain a residential stand through that. I have worked very hard and became famous but it has not put riches on my table.
LN: What is really wrong then and your opinion?
ZK: Every year, a musician wins an award or residential stand but to actors, I have not seen anything of that nature, no one is looking at us, that’s why we are ending up releasing music albums because hazvisi kufamba kuside kwedu. We are not even considered in this industry.
LN: What are the challenges you have faced along the way?
ZK: There are many but the issue of money is a thorn in the flesh, kubuda kwayo kuri kunetsa especially when we send our projects to organisations, inotozobuda waifambira chaizvo.
LN: Looking at this industry, where do you think urgent attention is needed to make things look better?
ZK: Yes we need help , we just need to be considered in this country, it seems musicians are the only ones on the limelight, why are we not called to national Galas, we also need to perform on stage, why not us. We can do much better, they can give us themes and we can perform accordingly just as these musicians.
Look at these musicians of today, they are no longer singing but they are now acting.
LN: Any best role?
ZK: Yes when I did Councillor Papa Pee.
LN: Do you have a drama group and where are you based?
ZK: I am based in Banket and the drama group is Kwauyiwa Arts Production.
LN: Who helped you to rise and shine?
ZK: Much respect goes to Dorothy Chidzawo because she is the one who picked me up when I was an orphan and I think by now I could have been a street kid. I stayed at her place of residence for seven years.
Major T also helped me, Roger (Levels) is also helping me in the process.
LN: Your plans in the next five years?
ZK: I want to come up with my own arts centre and I am crediting that to my manager Steven Mutangabende.
LN: How do you manage fame?
ZK: Haa miyedzo inouya and we overcome some and imwe ichitikunda.
I remember we divorced with my first wife after being blessed with two kids.
I later asked her why she dated me on the first place, and funny enough she said she wanted to experiment what happens when date a public figure.
I was surprised and I re-married and we are blessed with one child.
LN: Is your new wife comfortable with some of the roles you take in acting?
ZK: She is very comfortable and we are supporting each other because she wrote Councillor Mu Ward Mavo.
I even had a role where I was dating a woman in the drama and my wife is the one who was the camera person.
LN: Your message to the world regarding the current generation of actors?
ZK: It’s not different because these days munhu anongomuka achiti akuda kuactor and they just use phones and poor cameras.
Things have changed and they are just shooting. If you get equipment it doesn’t mean one can act, hazvidi dzungu.
Piracy has no problem but it’s coming from us musicians because they actually tell the pirates why they are not pirating.
LN: Tell us about your involvement in music?
ZK: Yeah I also sing, I have a new six track album that will be ready in the coming week.
I feature some upcoming musicians, and it’s called Chipo Changu, amongst them Ras Caleb, it’s traditional music  and pansula. Music has always been in the blood before acting because I used to dance with Taso zvakasimba.
LN: Any current projects so far?
ZK: Nzuda naKenny feauturing Marabha, and it has a lot of people including Vabati VaJehovha members.
LN: Besides acting what else do you do?
ZK: I have some businesses that I run and some are in Chitungwiza and I am afraid people will be following me, vanhu vanonetsa.
LN: Any awards in your name?
ZK: Yes I have two, I won an award whilst in Nyabira as best writer.
And in Sperire (Street Theatre) - I was called at Homefield centre and I won the award as best actor amongst other several groups.
LN: Do you catch the attention of fans when you walk in the streets?
ZK: Yeah people know me but some have forgotten because I have since gained weight unlike from the previous dramas.
LN: Which names have caught the attentions of fans?
ZK: Mkoma Kenny, Baba Peace, Sperire.
LN: Are you not provoked when people call you with the stage names?
ZK: I take no offence from fans but pane mamwe madeedzere ekudenha zvekuti unozongoramba wakatyora (laughing).
LN: Thank you Mkoma Kenny.
ZK: My pleasure Latwell hope my pleas will be heard.
Feedback: nyangu.latwell27@gmail.com, 0774186242
Twitter:  @nyanguz
Facebook: Latwell Nyangu
-H-METRO

No comments:

Post a Comment